Wednesday, December 1, 2010

bring on that pecan pie

For Thanksgiving this year, I was delegated with making the pies for the gathering we attended (something I was glad to do, of course.) Each year, I make pumpkin, pecan, and chocolate chess pies. I have to admit that I do not really like pumpkin or pecan pie, but since they are classics, I always make them. I found a new pecan pie recipe this year though, and it has made me like pecan pie. I made three of these pecan pies last week. I brought one to a "Friendsgiving" on Saturday, and one guy told me it was the best dessert he has ever eaten...not to toot my own horn or anything :)

I tried out a new pie crust recipe that included Crisco, an egg, and vinegar, rather than just the usual butter and flour recipe. However, I didn't like that new crust as much, and I switched back to my old Betty Crocker standby after making a few pies.

For the filling, I used this recipe from none other than Pioneer Woman. The great thing about this version is that the sweetness was not overpowering, which can often be the case, since pecan pie is made with corn syrup. I tested out using half corn syrup and half maple syrup in one pie, but in my opinion that made it too sweet, even though the maple taste was nice. Maybe next time I will just add a little maple flavoring.  

Make this pecan pie. You will be glad you did.

Edit: This recipe also calls for chopping up the pecans, which I have decided is good for two reasons: 1. It makes it easier to cut pretty pieces, since it's hard to cut through the full pecans and 2. The small bits get toasted better, which makes for a more pecan-y flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment